Our Church

History

Sandbach Heath St John the Evangelist was founded as an ecclesiastical parish for part of Sandbach in 1861 formed from part of the Sandbach St Mary, Cheshire Ancient Parish.

The church was opened in 1861 and was designed by George Gilbert Scott, who was responsible for many fine buildings in the area. It was built following a bequest of £5000 in the will of Miss Sarah Sibson. The church is built in the Early English Gothic style in the shape of a cross with a tower and spire standing on the four arches which form the junction of the nave, transepts and chancel. The walls are of local Mow Cop stone, and the roof is of Westmorland green slates. There is much fine tracery carving in the stonework within the church and the reredos behind the altar is the work of Mrs Jessie Twemlow who carved the oak with designs of bulrush, foxglove and horse chestnut. The lych-gate was built as a memorial to the men of the parish who died in the First World War.